UCF research stories were everywhere in 2021 from Smithsonian magazine at Tonight’s Show with Jimmy Fallon.
The most popular research stories of 2021 have focused on threats to our survival and opportunities to advance our species – from the impact of the rising seas to the technology that promises to power our exploration of the solar system. Stories about COVID-19 and workplace behavior were also in the top 10.
UCF shares its stories to demonstrate the impact of UCF research on the world. The stories feature professors and students who are making a difference. By 2021, UCF’s research papers had a combined total potential reach of over 8.2 billion possible views globally via newspapers, magazines, news websites, and select TV news locations. . The count does not include all TV locations or a total number for December. The count is based on the number of visitors to a media from desktop and mobile devices who might have viewed that source’s stories. That is compared to a combined total reach of over 7.3 billion potential views in 2020.
The Top 10 list is based on the number of media placements and the reach they’ve gained. The number of views the stories received on UCF Today is also taken into account. Stories were generated from UCF Research office and colleges.
UCF research has appeared in places such as the New York Times, the Smithsonian magazine, To discover magazine, CBS this morning and CNN. The daily mail UK is part of a group of international publications that have shared UCF research content. All local newspapers and TV stations have shared at least one research story in 2021. The constant sharing of stories on certain topics also helps the media identify some of UCF’s professors and students as experts, which they make. repeatedly called. Some of our space experts are now featured regularly on WMFE and several TV channels, and they comment on almost every space launch. One of UCF’s advances in artificial intelligence has even been the subject of Tonight show host of Jimmy Fallon’s monologue in May.
The 10 best research stories of 2021 are:
- Flying at speeds up to Mach 17 could become a reality with the development of UCF’s propulsion system
- UCF study shows masks and ventilation prevent the spread of COVID better than social distancing
- UCF team develops artificial intelligence capable of detecting sarcasm in social media
- Virgin Orbit launches rocket from 747, places 9 satellites in space
- Coastal changes worsen harmful flooding on many U.S. shores, study finds
- Clues Emerge: How Harmless Bacteria Become Thugs Turning Into Deadly Flesh-Eating Variants
- UCF Scientist’s Single Camera Will Investigate Moon’s South Pole
- The legendary Sargasso Sea could be the destination of “sea turtles” for mysterious “lost years”
- Rude behavior at work is not an epidemic, UCF study finds
- New UCF study examines role of leeches in major sea turtle diseases in Florida
Some research is so powerful that the stories continue to gain attention even years later. UCF published three articles before 2021 which generated significant placements online and / or in the media this year. They are:
ADHD Kids Can Stand Still – If They Won’t Strain Their Brain (2017)
UCF researchers develop revolutionary new rocket propulsion system (2020)
Study shows that keeping a gratitude journal reduces gossip and incivility in the workplace (2020)